The main objective of DILIGENT is to create an advanced test-bed that will allow members of dynamic virtual e-Science organizations to access shared knowledge and to collaborate in a secure, coordinated, dynamic and cost-effective way. This test-bed will be built by integrating the Grid and Digital Library (DL) technologies. Merging of these different technologies will lay the foundations for a next generation e-Science knowledge infrastructure. The DILIGENT infrastructure, which will build upon the efforts of the EGEE project (IST-2003-508833), will serve many different research and industrial applications.
The test-bed will be demonstrated and validated by two complementary real-life application scenarios: one from the cultural heritage domain and one from the environmental e-Science domain. Additional objectives of the project are:
- to open up Grid technology to a broader range of research and industrial communities;
- to broaden the diffusion of DLs by supporting a cost-effective DL operational model;
- to promote cross-fertilization between the DL and Grid technology domains that will foster advances in both the areas.
In order to achieve its objectives, DILIGENT has identified four main areas of work:
- integration of DL services and content together with third-party applications as OGSA-compliant Grid services;
- experimentation with real-life user communities;
- feedback with respect to the capabilities of the Grid and the design of DL system architectures;
- exploitation and sustainability.
Two prototypes will be released during the project. The first one, which will run on a restricted Grid infrastructure, will be used to achieve a sufficient level of confidence about the technology and will demonstrate the feasibility of implementing a system that offers DL functionality on the Grid. The experience acquired will be used to build a revised test-bed that will be deployed on the EGEE infrastructure.
Funding SchemeIP - Integrated Project
1211 Geneve 23
75738 Paris Cedex 15
G1 1XQ Glasgow