The overall aim is to extend our knowledge about the impact of lighting on the wellbeing and health of older people and translate this into a cost-effective open solution. Adaptive lighting can contribute considerably to sound sleep and a regular sleep-wake cycle, which are essential to preserve and enhance people's health and wellbeing. This will assist older adults in living at home autonomously for a longer time and contribute to their quality of life.
The ALADIN prototype will revolutionise the permanent lighting industry and comprise the following components:
1. An intelligent open-loop control and biofeedback system which can adapt various light parameters such as intensity, light directions or colour in response to the psycho-physiological data, which are continuously registered by the system.
2. A control system that can be manually adjusted via graphical interfaces and allows the resetting of all light parameters to their default values. To achieve truly ageing friendly interfaces design-for-all principles will be applied which take into account changing levels of capability due to age.
3. An advice and support application that can intervene and assist older people in accomplishing their daily activities. The interventions can be defined by a therapeutic plan to regulate a person's circadian rhythms.
By developing an assessment system that captures and analyses the individual and situational differences of the cognitive and emotional effects of lighting, ALADIN will go well beyond the current state of the art of compensation systems for older adults.
Both hardware and software applications will be developed to allow easy integration with other ICT building blocks, thus becoming part of a general assistive environment. Due to it's open architecture, the system can easily be extended to include other environmental factors such as temperature, acoustics, colour or information displays and other application domains and target groups.
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electronic engineering/automation and control systems
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/colors
Funding SchemeSTREP - Specific Targeted Research Project
060042 Bucuresti Sectorul 6