Attention appears to represent one of the key factors of learning performance. The most effective learners are not necessary the most intelligent or the brightest ones, but the one that are able
- to organise efficiently their time;
- to sustain concentrating on their key activities and that are able to complete them;
- and that have the psychological strength to mobilise all their energy for the last miles that really make a difference.
This situation is even aggravated in an online setting, for which the learners are left on their own, have fewer points of reference to situate themselves, do not receive any direct pressure from a tutor or from their peers, and can more easily procrastinate, or engage into learning activities that are very ineffective.
The objective of this project is to investigate the use of artificial agents for supporting the management of the attention of young or adult learners in the context of individual and collaborative learning environments. Practically, this project consists in the design artificial agents that are able to coach the learners in reaching higher level of performance in managing their attention in the learning process. These agents, which appear as embedded characters, are able to profile the (short term or long term) state of the attention of the learners by observing their actions, to assess, to analyse and to reason on these states of attention, and to provide some proactive coaching (assessment, guidance, stimulation, etc.).
These attentive agents will be designed and delivered as part of two different learning infrastructure/contexts:
- AtGentSchool: an artificial characters enhanced e-learning platform for children education;
- AtGentNet an advanced virtual community platform supporting knowledge exchange in knowledge communities.
The result of this project will be validated with two pilots sites:
- A school pilot.
- A learning network of managers from SMEs
Appel à propositionsData not available
Régime de financementSTREP - Specific Targeted Research Project
16252 Praha 6
101 24 Stockholm