During 2006-2007, the ACE Network proposes to extend and complete the structuring effort started in 2004-2005, in the ACE-1 NoE Project by tackling the fragmented European antenna RandD, reducing duplications and boosting excellence and competitiveness in key areas.
Sophisticated antennas are a strategic multi-application technology for emerging communications, navigation and sensing services for the Information Society, Aeronautics and Space, transport, security, de-mining and tele-medicine. Involving thousand of specialists, European antenna engineering is scattered on more than 200 Entities, with some 200 MEuro of antenna RandD yearly. In this frame, 45 top-level Institutions led the ACE-1 NoE and, with some additions, form the Consortium for the ACE 2006-2007 proposal (ACE-2).
The ACE Network plans a Joint Programme of Activity with: a) horizontal integration by selecting, perfecting and regrouping for Design Software, Measurement Facilities, Teaching of top level courses and worldwide Dissemination. b) vertical integration, fostering university-industry co-operation, focusing research to support Europe's competitiveness in 5 key areas:
- Millimetre wave and integrated antennas
- Small antennas
- Wideband and multiband antennas
- Planar and conformal arrays
- Smart antennas.
At the heart of the Network, a Virtual Antenna Centre of Excellence, will help to:
- Coordinate and manage the Network
- Share software, testing techniques, benchmarks and standards
- Provide a University-Industry RandD forum, aimed at knowledge exchange
- Support a European School on Antennas, with the best courses and on-line education
- Disseminate results and promote the creation of a European Antenna Conference
- Aggregate and consolidate the Antenna Scientific Community.
The ACE Network will significantly contribute to emerging wireless applications, thanks also to synergies created with the other projects in the area.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/software
Funding SchemeNoE - Network of Excellence
SE10 0AG London
GU14 6YU Farnborough
Paris Cedex 16
2800 Kgs. Lyngby
75634 Paris 13
35043 Rennes Cedex
100 44 Stockholm
15310 Aghia Paraskevi Attikis
405 15 Goteborg
91940 Les Ulis
87036 Arcavacata Di Rende (Cs)
Marne La Vallee
Nice - Cedex 2
L69 7ZX Liverpool