The Network of the Future Dynamic Impairment Constraint Networking for Transparent Mesh Optical Networks
The key innovation of DICONET: “The development of a dynamic network planning tool residing in the core network nodes that incorporates real-time measurements of optical layer performance into IA-RWA algorithms and is integrated into a unified control plane”,
The key innovation of DICONET: The development of a dynamic network planning and routing tool residing in the core network nodes, incorporating real-time measurements of optical layer performance into IA-RWA algorithms, and which is integrated into a unified control plane, is the key enabler for networks capable of automated, rapid network reconfiguration. This feature of fast dynamic reconfiguration upon user or network request is fundamentally different from slow, planned provisioning and reconfiguration used today. In addition our dynamic approach provides advanced network resiliency features not currently available in today’s static networks. The DICONET consortium is committed to realize the following project objectives:
* Development of Impairment Aware RWA Algorithms
* Optimum equipment (regenerators & monitors) placement
* Study of failure localization algorithms to enable resiliency
* Study of OPM/OIM techniques
* Development of fast and accurate modeling tools
* Experimental verification of the models
* Realization of dynamic network planning tool
* Protocol extensions to enable an IA-control plane
* Verification of the DICONET tools, algorithms and protocols
* Techno-economic studies to support exploitation of results
* Dissemination of project results
The work that needs to be performed during the life-time of the DICONET projects has been organized in several work-packages that perform stand alone research and development activities but they are also inter-related through an efficient integration of the project activities in order to ensure that the project objectives will be realized as planned. Besides the Project management, other work-packages are as follows:
* Network architecture and support studies: This work package aims at defining dynamic optical network architectures and analyzing these network architectures in order to support the activities in the other technical work packages.
* Development of a network planning tool for dynamic traffic/impairments: This activity will study efficient optical layer impairment monitoring and will design and develop a dynamic network planning tool based on advanced physical layer modeling and impairment dissemination techniques.
* Impairment aware lightpath routing: This work package will be devoted to the design, development and test of impairment aware routing and wavelength assignment algorithms (IA-RWA) for lowest cost routing while maintaining required quality of service.
* Network management and control protocol: This activity aims at the implementation of the most appropriate control protocols extensions which are going to be used by the DICONET test-bed.
* Integration and testing of the developed protocol extensions in a test-bed for validation and performance evaluation
* Exploitation & Dissemination: This activity aims at addressing the exploitation and dissemination of the developed modules.
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/information engineering/telecommunications/telecommunications network/optical network
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/internet
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCP - Collaborative project (generic)
49130 Petach Tikva
60528 Frankfurt Am Main