Worldwide, there is a strong trend towards highly efficient, low (preferably zero) emission vehicles, i.e. electrical vehicles. In order to facilitate the transition from conventional fuel-driven vehicles towards electrically driven vehicles, there is a short(er) term need for advanced plug-in hybrids and electrical vehicles with range extenders. For this purpose, highly efficient, compact, clean and low cost engines are required. Such engines are to provide battery charging over longer trips and/or in areas where electric recharge infrastructure is not (yet) available. Moreover, these engines should be able to significantly improve over future Euro 6 standards for noxious emissions.
FUEREX covers all of the above mentioned aspects with the focus on the application in battery electric vehicles with range extenders capable of using regular fuels as well as bio fuels.
The CONCEPT is based upon:
1. Three compact spark-ignition engines: (a) rotary engine, b) 2 cylinder piston engine, and c) gas engine as these type of engines have the highest potential to meet the requirements in terms of efficiency, fuel types, exhaust emissions, dimension, weight and costs.
2. Multi fuel Capability for regular fuels: petrol, LPG and CNG and for bio fuels: ethanol and biogas as these fuel types are broadly available and have the largest market potential;
3. Integration of the range extenders with state of the art battery packs
4. Demonstration of the integrated technology at a realistic scale
The targeted end result of FUEREX is to prove the feasibility/viability of the range extender technology for the markets for sub-compact passenger cars up to light duty trucks. This will allow large market penetration of electrical vehicles. Consortium is built with industry partners, AVL as engine supplier, BOSCH as component supplier, Volvo (passenger cars) and ALTRA (IVECO light commercial) as end-user and research institutes, CRF and Chalmers and Uniresearch as service provider.
Field of science
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/commerce
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport/electric vehicles
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/energy and fuels/fossil energy/gas
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/organic chemistry/hydrocarbons
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/energy and fuels
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCP-FP - Small or medium-scale focused research project
405 31 Goteborg