ECOSHELL is concerned with the development of optimal structural solutions for superlight electric vehicles (category L6 and L7e), decreasing its environmental footprint and using an innovative bio-composite material for the vehicle body. Traditionally this category of urban vehicles has been relatively expensive and lacking of sufficient security measures compared to a classic vehicle (category m1 n1), thus less attractive for popular use. However, a body car lighter than 100Kg can allow the electric vehicles to have acceptable performances at an affordable price, due to lower power of the engine and lower energy consummation. This project aims at handling the first two major draw backs (production cost and safety) while further improving the associated environmental advantages via the application of innovative biodegradable materials for the vehicle body .
ECOSHELL partners will work at the same time on:
- The material: finding the best material for such application : natural fibber, resin and glue
- The structural parts: defining the optimum geometry and architecture of the body and the optimum shape of the different parts
- The vehicle: defining the optimum shape and architecture.
The work will be carried out throw three subprojects:
- “Manufacturing”: Manufacturing the material, manufacturing and assembling the parts of the body and assembling the car.
- “Live cycle”: Finding materials whose properties are in accordance with the vehicle live cycle, defining the parts of the body responding to the constraints of the vehicle live cycle and defining the vehicle, testing it against torsion, flexion and crash.
- “End of live “: defining the end of live for the material, the structural parts, and the car (disassembly )
ECOSHELL stands out clearly as an innovative project compared to most currently related activities which are mostly concerned with the improvement of production and weight of small size vehicles.
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/composites/biocomposites
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport/electric vehicles
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCP-FP - Small or medium-scale focused research project