The aim of the present project is to explore the properties and possible applications of bismuth and bismuth based compounds when they are synthesized at the nanometric scale. This approach is motivated by the uncommon but advantageous properties of bismuth which, in part, have been exploited for many years. However, there are many unexplored possibilities and with the advent of nanotechnology new prospectives may be expected.
We believe this approach will lead to new and high-tech applications of bismuth based materials, adding new value to one of the major mining products of Mexico (second most important world production) and boost the related economic benefits which at present are low.
In the project, we have integrated complementary research groups from Mexico and Europe covering interdisciplinary fields. In the thematic work-packages, research groups working on the synthesis of the nanostructured materials will collaborate with others doing the physical-chemical materials characterization and the application development. The materials include Bi, Bi2O3 and Bi2S3 nanostructures, Bismuth metal oxide nanostructured ceramics and thin films, bismuth-based nanocomposites where Bi constitutes the nanoscale inclusion and the matrices varied from ceramics, polymers or glasses, and finally Bi superconductors. Extensive chemical and structural characterization will be required to correlate the synthesis parameters with the physical properties. Finally, the project includes the physical evaluation focused on the optical, electrical, magnetic, ferroelectric, etc. properties, according to the proposed applications. The time scale of the project is sufficient for the preparation of master’s degree students and the initial years of doctorate students. These students will work in a very academic-rich environment and at the same time have contact with the industrial partners in the project, some of which are leaders in the development of Bi-based commercial products.
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/coating and films
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/ceramics
- /humanities/arts/modern and contemporary art/film
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/inorganic chemistry/inorganic compounds
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/polymer science
- /engineering and technology/nanotechnology
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/nanocomposites
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/electromagnetism and electronics/electrical conductivity/superconductor
- /engineering and technology/nanotechnology/nano-materials
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCP-FP - Small or medium-scale focused research project
14387 Mexico City