"The SME-driven NanoOnSpect project aims to accelerate the commercialisation of innovative polymer nanocomposites (PNCs), combining developments in online sensor technology, artificial intelligence-based signal analysis and real-time process optimisation to create a comprehensive solution to quality problems.
NanoOnSpect has 3 development aims:
1) Newly-developed online characterisation techniques will be combined in a ""one-box"" characterisation unit. This will be able to determine dispersion, particle size, particle network formation and resulting composite properties online under demanding industrial conditions, with a (factor 2 to 10) higher resolution than conventional online characterisation tools.
2) An Artificial Neural Network and Expert System (ES) module will be developed to analyse sensor signals, predict the complex quality of the PNC and calculate new input parameters for the compounding line.
3) A breakthrough concept will be developed to adapt the mixing process during composite production, based on feedback from the ES.
The characterisation tool and process control technique will allow precise adjustment of the composite properties (e.g. dispersion-dependent properties) during production. This will improve product quality, allow the reliable production of PNCs with tailored functions and reduce waste production. The technology will be validated in existing production lines for two particle types. NanoOnSpect will also deliver in depth understanding of materials and processing, shortening material development cycles and formulation changeovers.
The NanoOnSpect consortium, consisting of 8 SMEs, 2 RTD performers and 2 associations, combines competences in measurement technology/automation, polymer processing technology, end use and demonstration, standardisation, dissemination and training. The project results will dramatically increase competitiveness and strengthen the market position of the mainly SME-based European PNC compounding industry."
Field of science
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/polymer science
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/composites
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/artificial intelligence/expert systems
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electronic engineering/sensors
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/artificial intelligence/computational intelligence
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call