DREAMCODEProject reference: 620143
Funded under :
Development of Reliable Emission and Atomization Models for Combustor Design
Total cost:EUR 1 294 465,4
EU contribution:EUR 970 848
Call for proposal:SP1-JTI-CS-2013-01See other projects for this call
Funding scheme:JTI-CS - Joint Technology Initiatives - Clean Sky
"The SAGE6 demonstration project aims to develop and mature a lean burn combustion system. An essential enabler to development of such technology is an accurate and reliable computational tool for prediction of emissions. Lean burn provides significant benefits in terms of NOx emissions. However, the emissions of CO, UHC and soot limit the operation of the combustor at different conditions. Reliable predictions of emission trends will lead to optimised combustor designs in a cost effective way. Today’s capabilities, however, are still inadequate to produce accurate and reliable predictions in direct support of lean burn system design. The DREAMCODE project aims to develop and improve computational methods that can be used in the design process of low emission combustors. Improved models and methods will be developed to predict emissions accurately and reliably. To that end, the following essential elements of a CFD combustion emission tool will be considered:
1. Detailed chemistry models for jet fuel surrogates are necessary to describe the complicated chemical processes of fuel oxidation and emission formation in the gas phase.
2. Soot models are indispensable to describe the complex physical and chemical phenomena of soot particle formation.
3. Chemistry reduction methods are inevitable to reduce the computational cost of the complex chemistry model for application in CFD codes.
4. Spray break-up models are necessary to model the liquid fuel break-up, which has a dramatic effect on emissions.
5. Turbulence-chemistry interaction models have to account for the effects that occur on length scales which cannot be resolved by the computational mesh.
These 5 models will be improved and integrated in a CFD code for the validation on real aero engine gas turbine combustors."
EU contribution: EUR 254 726
GROENE LOPER 5
5612 AE EINDHOVEN
Tel.: +31 40 247 3262
Fax: +31 40 243 4175
EU contribution: EUR 225 000
Tel.: +49 2418094608
Fax: +49 2418092923
EU contribution: EUR 266 805
Tel.: +49 72160843241
EU contribution: EUR 224 317
SOUTH KENSINGTON CAMPUS EXHIBITION ROAD
SW7 2AZ LONDON
Tel.: +44 207 594 8773
Fax: +44 207 594 8609