Proposals may be submitted in any of the transport areas or propose a multi-mode approach:
- Aviation: EGNSS solutions for modernising and improving air operations and traffic management technologies, addressing Communication, Navigation and Surveillance applications, including unmanned vehicles (e.g. GNSS based PBN and GBAS Cat II/III operations, advanced operations for approach and landing, surveillance and integrated information management, autonomous air vehicles such as Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS) and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV).
- Road: EGNSS solutions that reduce traffic, optimise fuel consumption and emissions, fostering cheaper, smarter, safer and greener transportation (e.g. automated and driverless cars, connected cars). EGNSS solutions in policy driven applications (e.g. digital tachograph, eCall), as well as innovative tolling services and leveraging Intelligent Transport Systems.
- Maritime: EGNSS solutions that reduce emissions in shipping and increase efficiency, safety, and resilience (e.g. with reference to vessels navigation, traffic management, port operations, autonomous vessels).
- Rail: EGNSS for cheaper, smarter, higher performance, safer and emission-efficient solutions (e.g. train signalling and control, contributing to the European Rail Traffic Management System, asset management, passenger and crew services, autonomous trains).
- Public Transport: EGNSS for managing the public transport fleet in order to enhance the quality of public transportation reduce operational costs reduce traffic and provide savings in time and fuel.
Proposals should be built on the exploitation of the distinguishing features of EGNOS and Galileo, e.g.:
- Multiple-frequencies E1, E5 and E6;
- Galileo specific signal modulation, e.g. AltBOC;
- Galileo Search and Rescue Service;
- Galileo High Accuracy service that will be offered free of charge and Authentication features that will be provided by Galileo, i.e. in the frame of the Open Service authentication (OS NMA);
- Accurate absolute and authenticated time synchronization.
Actions should deliver new innovative applications, with commercial
impact and a clear market uptake perspective (a Business Plan is required as part of the proposal). EGNSS should be part and parcel of the envisaged solution(s). However, where a combination of EGNSS with other technologies, such as Earth observation satellite communication or other sensors is required to make the application(s) work, this can be included in the scope.
For proposals under this topic:
- Participation of industry, in particular SMEs, is encouraged;
- Involvement of post-graduate researchers (engineers, scientists, and others) is also encouraged, for example through professional work experience or through fellowships/scholarships when applicable;
- A Business Plan and evidence of user engagement shall be compulsory and shall be provided as part of the proposal, to demonstrate the user need and sustainability of the project.
Proposals addressing PRS (Public Regulated Service) related applications are not in the scope
of this action.
The Commission considers that proposals requesting a contribution from the EU of between EUR 1 and 3 million would allow this specific challenge to be addressed appropriately. Nonetheless, this does not preclude submission and selection of proposals requesting other amounts.
This topic contributes to the Horizon 2020 focus area ""Building a low-carbon, climate resilient future"".
The specific challenge of this topic is to develop innovative EGNSS based applications. These should lead to low emission (CO2 and air pollutants), safer, more secure, lower cost and higher performance mobility, and transport solutions that respond to the increased mobility needs of people and goods whilst improving transport service continuity.
- Foster the EGNSS market uptake in transport. It should build on specific features and differentiators of Galileo and EGNOS, demonstrating the advantage of their use in smart and green mobility.
- Contribute to the resource efficient, climate and environmental friendly transport that will be also safe and seamless for the benefit of all citizens, the economy and society.
- Encourage market take-up, taking into account infrastructure and regulatory requirements, coordination of multiple actors and projects.
- Commercialise the products and services developed.