GOOS sets up collaboration on ocean observation
A workshop on the Global Ocean Observing System (GOOS) will be held in Bergen, Norway, from 22 to 24 March 1999. It is being organised by GOOS and the International Council for the Exploration of the Seas (ICES).
The workshop aims to:
- Identify existing ocean observing activities within the ICES area that are relevant to GOOS;
- Investigate how observations already being made routinely could be combined and enhanced and incorporated within a common plan;
- Propose a possible design for an ICES regional GOOS component;
- Develop a draft implementation plan for ICES-GOOS;
- Advise on the policy role of ICES.
The workshop should be an important step towards meeting ICES's ambitions in relation to GOOS.
For further information, please contact:
Institute of Marine Research
P.O. Box 1870
N-5024 Bergen, Norway
Tel. +4755-238500; Fax +4755-238584