In a context of increasing constrains in the usage and production of resources, bio-intelligent technologies should arise as key enabling manufacturing systems under any circumstances while fostering the biological transformation of industry. In this sense, research activities should be highly multi-disciplinary and networked to the strengthening of European industrial leadership and autonomy in this emerging technology.
Proposals should investigate the potential of bioenabled technologies through the integration of biological principles with other technologies, to bolster future supply chains and more efficient manufacturing.
Proposals should aid the biological transformation of industries, investigating the biological-technical interfaces of industrial and technological applications.
Research activities under this topic should cover (but not be limited to):
- Biomimicry of biological mechanisms to enable discrete manufacturing;
- Development of bioinspired systems and materials with technological and data interactions;
- Innovative metrology and characterisation required for development of the bio-inspired technical components and systems;
- Exploring potential synergies between nano- and biotechnology in production technologies;
- Biosensors and bioactuators as enablers of novel manufacturing techniques, building on bi-directional communication between a biological and technical systems to aid discrete manufacturing;
- The use of biological components to increase efficiency in controlled manufacturing processes.
- Innovative metrology and characterisation required for development of the bio-inspired technical components and systems
Proposals should investigate the use of Big Data as a key enabler of the bio-technological transformation in manufacturing.
Proposals should explore the use of data processing, Digital Twins and AI integrating data exchanging between biological systems to technical components for the discrete manufacturing environment.
Research activities should also cover societal and business challenges associated with biointelligent manufacturing.