UNIC aims to study and develop efficient means to offer broadband interactive multimedia services over low-cost 2-way satellite terminals. This demands the integration of a service platform requiring detailed analysis, implementation and pilot testing.
Strategic objectives are:
- To contribute to implementing the eEurope Action Plan by encouraging the use of satellites as an enabler for Universal Access to triple play/interactive services.
- To provide added-value services with High Quality of Service using TV-Centric architectures, enabled by high bitrate consumer contributions
The added value of the project is to tackle technological, societal, and commercial issues arising from the new concept of 2-way interactive broadband TV-centric (in direct contrast to PC-centric) consumer services. An important aspect is to understand the needs of existing satellite TV service users who have no access to alternative services (e.g. PC/web access, videoconferencing).
Scientific and technological objectives of UNIC are therefore:
- To identify which services are more suitable and viable when carried by new satellite technology.
- To identify, analyse and solve issues related to the provision of satellite based triple play and TV-Centric services.
- To prototype adapted components and interfaces, with Lab level Assembly, Integration and test of the platform
- To demonstrate the applications by a pilot phase, permitting assessment of the services and underlying technology acceptance and performance.
Two key assets will result:
- Research on, and evaluation of, added value services using an up-to date platform and a panel of users,
- Opening of new market opportunities for service suppliers, broadcasters, satellite operators and manufacturers, equipment suppliers etc.
In essence, UNIC is a scientific testbed for creation, optimisation and validation of new broadband interactive TV-centric services, delivered over satellite to actual end-users in the home.
Fields of science
Funding SchemeSTREP - Specific Targeted Research Project
75039 Paris Cedex 01
583 30 Linkoping