As biometrics are adopted more broadly interoperability and security of biometrics becomes increasingly important.
The EC has specific requirements to use fingerprints for future visas, non-resident permits formats, passports and travel documents. Consequently there is an urgent need to test and improve the interoperability of fingerprint biometrics.
Traditionally interchange of fingerprint data has used the fingerprint image, but data sizes make this inefficient compared to the minutiae template used by most fingerprint systems. The use of minutiae based templates enables solutions to be more privacy sensitive, as the template can be stored on the simplest of smart cards, rather than having to be stored in a central database.
MIT brings together key players with all the required expertise to deliver strategic research targeted at testing and improving the interoperability of minutiae-based fingerprint systems within a timescale to meet the needs of EU policy legislation.
The project takes as its starting point the existing work on fingerprint minutiae data interchange standards, the problems of interoperability identified in the recent test for the seafarers ID card, and the current NIST benchmark of minutiae interoperability, and will extend this existing work to improve the standards, the test methods and the interoperability of fingerprint minutiae systems.
- define criteria for interoperability and interoperability testing
- develop a database of fingerprint images to enable testing,
- develop a testbed enabling the automated and repeatable testing of fingerprint minutiae interoperability, and also investigation of how factors such as image quality are important for interoperability,
- incorporate an improvement step, whereby the interoperability of the tested systems can be improved, and
- provide for the testing of interoperability of future systems from further vendors.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/databases
Funding SchemeSTREP - Specific Targeted Research Project
2344 Maria Enzersdorf
- Dublin 8
RG22 4PD Basingstoke Hants