The project will develop a personal, user-centred enabling system, with services, for use by an elderly person in or out of the home, to mitigate the effects of any disability and to increase quality of life: independence, autonomy, mobility, communications, care and safety. The system will be based on a distributed open platform, enabling other services to be added by third parties, by "plugging" into defined interfaces. The platform includes a mobile phone, enabling the user to get out and about, for visiting, shopping, recreation, etc, whilst maintaining contact for help and services.
Problems of everyday living to be addressed include:
- using the phone;
- raising the alarm in emergency to get help;
- being monitored for health conditions, a fall, or sign of distress, with automatic raising of alarm;
- labelling of medicine, and checking that it's taken;
- turning things on and off around the house, and checking their status, e.g. for cooking.
For a person with dementia:
- knowing where you are, and what to do:
- recognising somebody at the door to let them in;
- being found if wandering.
For somebody with poor eyesight:
- shopping for things and subsequently identifying them;
- checking details in small print.
- writing text for messages;
- reading text from messages.
The aim of the project is to develop an open and highly accessible reference architecture, to which subsystems and services can be seamlessly added according to particular needs of elderly people and their carers.
The system is built round a dual platform of mobile phone and wrist unit, to which will be added modular capabilities for:
(1) alarm function,
(2) control of appliances and other devices around the home,
(3) identification of objects,
(4) identifying the user's location,
(5) health monitoring and
The project addresses mobile phone accessibility by providing a highly accessible user interface extension, using the wrist unit and speech guidance.
Fields of science
Funding SchemeSTREP - Specific Targeted Research Project
EC1V 4PY London
GU13 8UJ Fleet, Hampshire
13122 Neon Liosion
4232 Hagenberg I.m.
RG6 6AH Reading
11000 Praha 1