The aim of this project is to obtain the highest quality observations of the atomic interstellar medium (ISM), through observations of the 21cm line of atomic hydrogen, ever made of a substantial sample of nearby galaxies, covering a wide range of Hubble types, star formation rates, absolute luminosities, evolutionary stages, and metallicities in order to derive the detailed morphology, three-dimensional structure, and mass distribution of galaxies in the nearby Universe.
Particular emphasis will be placed o n the interplay between the ISM and Star Formation, the Star Formation threshold as a function of Hubble Type and metallicity, and the physical characteristics of the cool and warm neutral ISM as traced by neutral hydrogen.
Fields of science
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesastronomyobservational astronomyoptical astronomy
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesastronomyobservational astronomyradio astronomy
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesastronomyastrophysicsdark matter
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesastronomyplanetary sciencescelestial mechanics
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesastronomyobservational astronomyinfrared astronomy
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call