The overall objective of the research proposed in this document is to integrate top-down lithographic techniques which enable precise spatial patterning of surfaces from micron- to the nanoscale, with the controlled stepwise self-assembly and self-organi sation of nanometer scale chemical and biochemical entities to these surfaces, to fabricate three dimensional (3D) adaptive nanostructured architectures, which have demonstratable uses, in a fashion that will allow the processes to be scaled into proto-t ype production methodologies. The Nano3D consortia wish to be the first to demonstrate that nanostructures on surfaces can be created via an integration of top-down and bottom-up methodologies, by the self-organisation of self-assembled molecular bui lding blocks on nanopatterned surfaces, such that the nanostructures are able to adapt to the environment. Furthermore, the Nano3D consortia wish to further innovate in illustrating that this approach can be scaled up into a proto-type production proces s, such that automation and scaleability can be demonstrated. The Nano3D consortia will be innovating a new paradigm for manufacturing nanostructures on surfaces. The Nano3D proposal addresses Community socio-economic objectives from many view points . In response to the need for the transformation of industry towards higher-added value activities, one of the central objectives of the consortium is to develop new knowledge targeted towards high value-added technologies, including biotechnology, biom edicine and ICT. Successful innovations will ultimately enable new product and market development that will stimulate employment opportunities. Perhaps more relevantly, if Europe does not take its rightful place at the centre stage of emerging nanotechno logy research and development for these technologies, then these industries in Europe will continue to lose market share to new competing technologies from the Americas and the Far East.
Fields of science
- natural scienceschemical sciencespolymer science
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesopticslaser physics
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectronic engineeringsensorsoptical sensors
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesclassical mechanicsfluid mechanicsmicrofluidics
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesbiochemistrybiomoleculesnucleic acid
- natural scienceschemical sciencesinorganic chemistryinorganic compounds
- engineering and technologynanotechnology
- FP6-NMP - Nanotechnologies and nanosciences, knowledge-based multifunctional materials and new production processes and devices: thematic priority 3 under the 'Focusing and integrating community research' of the 'Integrating and strengthening the European Research Area' specific programme 2002-2006.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeSTREP - Specific Targeted Research Project