The objective of INTREPID is to develop new techniques for recognising and processing documents, demonstrate them in a development environment, and integrate them into an advanced application for the automatic classification of office documents. The INTREPID project is linked to ROCKI (project 5376). The planned recognition system must cope with a mixture of texts, line graphics, headings and grey-scale images, and with a variety of character sizes, styles and print qualities. Advanced distributed computer hardware will be used so that the increased requirements of new recognition algorithms and strategies can be satisfied.
INTREPID is aiming to:
- Develop new advanced preprocessing and character classification strategies and their implementation, together with existing approaches, in order to process poor-quality documents more successfully.
- Improve reading results by advanced post-processing functions incorporating document layout analysis and linguistic-based approaches. The results of the ROCKI project on decomposing documents into different regions of interest will be taken into account.
- Employ algorithmic procedure and recognition strategies, which can be particularly effective when supported by an appropriate hardware/software architecture. In order to show this, suitable algorithms will be chosen, implemented, tested and modified on a distributed parallel hardware architecture.
- Demonstrate the results in suitable development environments (PC, workstation or dedicated hardware) and in an application specifically developed for the automatic classification of office documents.
The main workpackages can be grouped into four categories:
From Preprocessing to Postprocessing
- working out strategies, procedures and algorithms in the field of preprocessing andclassification, suitable for supporting the recognition of poor-quality office documents
- developing structural algorithms for text recognition and line graphic analysis
- analysing the format and layout of office documents.
Linguistic Contextual Postprocessing
- investigating basic algorithms for lexical, grammatical and semantic analysers
- their application to a number of European languages (English, Italian, Spanish).
Hardware and Software Architecture Definition and Prototype Implementation
- defining a distributed parallel computer architecture, based on state-of-the-art technology, best suited for the recognition procedures on an appropriate prototype hardware platform.
- automatic classification of office documents.
NG1 4BU Nottingham
NG3 1GE Nottingham