The programme offers 492 months of multidisciplinary research training in plant science and microbiology, structured around seven research themes: biological chemistry; computational biology, crop genetics; plant cell and developmental biology; disease and stress biology; metabolic biology; and molecular microbiology. The Contract will run from April 2006 to March 2010, with recruitment of Fellows from October 2006.
There will be three sub-programmes offering different formats for research training:
(1) A Three-Year PhD Programme (252 months) with seven Fellows (one for each of the scientific themes) each undertaking a 3-year PhD studentship as part of an interactive training programme;
(2) A Four-Year Rotation PhD Programme (144 months) with six Fellows (each sponsored for 2 years from EU and for 2 years from a second sponsor) undertaking three short research rotations in the first year, followed by a 3-year research project leading to a PhD degree;
(3) A Short-term Fellowship Programme (96 months) with 8-16 Fellows each undertaking research projects of 6-12 months' duration leading in some cases to a 1-year Masters (MSc) degree.
The interdisciplinary research objectives are:
- to discover basic biological processes in plants and microorganisms;
- to develop and apply the platform technologies that underpin modern molecular biology, and
- to create plants and bacteria of enhanced value.
Each Fellow will be guided by an individual research supervisor, and advised by a supervisory committee that meets regularly to discuss research progress, plans and further training and career objectives. Fellows will benefit from an outstanding environment for early stage research training in a single large multidisciplinary host institution with an outstanding record of publication in top-rank journals. Training in research will be supplemented by training in entrepreneurship and technology transfer, and also by training in professional skills and career development.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/molecular biology
- /agricultural sciences/agriculture, forestry, and fisheries/agriculture/agronomy/plant breeding
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/microbiology/bacteriology
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/biochemistry
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/developmental biology
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call