The coming world-wide information infrastructure will offer end users interactive and co-operative software applications. However, the objective of the Information Society can only be achieved if these applications are easy to use. This requires that they offer powerful User Interface adapted to users needs, to make applications easy to learn and easy to use.
The development of User Interfaces (for these applications) is a major industrial challenge. The two major stakes for companies developing User Interface software are quality (in the sense of utility and usability), and productivity in their development. Quality directly concerns Human Comfort and Security, for the benefit of user satisfaction. Productivity concerns people producing User Interface software, and improving their competitiveness.
In this context, DIAMANTA's industrial objective is to provide ways of improving the definition and development of man-machine interfaces using the DIADEM (DIalogue Architecture and DEsign Method) method. DIADEM allows those involved in the definition of a system to work together, around simple and comprehensive formalisms, in order to increase the quality, productivity, utility and usability of the system, thereby providing end users with easy to use, intuitive and secure interfaces to the system. DIADEM has been developed on the basis of previous RTD work, combining system and software methodologies together with human factors user centred approaches.
The DIAMANTA project objectives are:
- To validate the viability and suitability of DIADEM as a reproducible means of developing user interfaces which satisfy the end user needs. Validation is organised into a three phases process : technology transfer, application development based on DIADEM technology, and measurement and evaluation.
- To define a re-deployment framework applicable to new projects and new organisations. The re-deployment framework will consist of training materials and a description of how to introduce this technology in new developments.
The consortium structure addresses the project objectives, by gathering together:
- a technology provider, to introduce the method to the other partners and support them in its use;
- three application developers to use the method, associated with their end users, in three different domains : tourism multimedia system for travel agencies, supervisory control of chemical processes, and sales support system for used cars.
- an evaluator, to observe development teams and deliverables in order to measure the results and prepare the re-deployment plans.
Fields of science
Call for proposalData not available
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
See on map
See on map
See on map