The microelectronics industry has to act successfully in turbulent and highly competitive environments. At the same time, it has to manage an increasing number, variety and complexity of products and technologies.
Furthermore, production and logistics are globally distributed and outsourced. These aspects accentuate the shortcomings of the traditional production planning and control techniques. Planning and control systems generally in current use do not adapt well to these requirements. They do not provide co-ordinated nor co-operative solutions that make optimal use of the enterprise capabilities.
The objective is to provide manufacturing solutions and services to improve microelectronics manufacturing and enterprise performance. The X-CITTIC system will address these problems by:
- appropriate models for the virtual enterprise, that will account for the costs and added value at different processing stages;
- a methodology to divide the complex planning and control problem into smaller manageable tasks and to support the communication in the virtual enterprise, both horizontally and vertically;
- an architecture that will support implementation, while being compatible with the communication requirements, organisational requirements and legacy systems;
- a selection of appropriate tools, complementary development of missing elements and an implementation of an integrated distributed solution;
- pilot systems, that will be evaluated under realistic conditions;
- a versatile demonstrator at an applied research plant, allowing emulation of different business scenarios.
This work will be addressed by a balanced consortium. The users GEC-Plessey-Semiconductors, Telefunken-Microelectronics and ALCATEL-Mietec provide the requirements and the reference test cases for the pilot implementations. In order to stay competitive in the near future, they need advanced planning solutions for their distributed enterprises.
Exploitation will feature highly in the project and a business plan for X-CITTIC solutions, tools and services will be produced shortly after the commencement of the project. It will be refined throughout the project, taking account of the eventual need to commercialise the products and the target markets.
Call for proposalData not available
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
SN2 2QW Swindon
SN2 2QW Swindon