The objective of the project is to provide postgraduate students, a pluri-disciplinary qualification for future career in medicinal chemistry, through research training, focused on two of the most important human health world problems: cancer and parasite diseases, and through additional training courses.
Medicinal chemistry has undergone deep changes during these last years with the emergence of new techniques and tools, in particular related to the progress of the genome knowledge. The goal of the network is the training in the techniques of lead discovery, rational drug design, organic synthesis, bioassays, cell biology, in one training site, with three academic partners involved in medicinal chemistry and an inter-related SME partner (Aureus Pharma) involved in bio-informatics.
The core of research training will be devoted to the search of new hits through natural product chemistry (extraction, structure determination and synthesis), and through mechanism-based drug design, including in silico approaches.
Numerous aspects of organic synthesis (asymmetric synthesis, organo-metallic chemistry, fluorine chemistry) are then essential to improve, from an initial 'hit', the biological activity, the physico-chemical properties for better pharmacological profile, to decrease toxicity, and to bring new tools for a better knowledge of mechanisms of action.
Additional training activities on other facets in the drug development or on fundamental knowledge are also available, through the Doctoral School, in other laboratories of the campus, through the collaboration with start-ups implemented on the site, and through national and international collaborations.
A complete training of young researchers in medicinal chemistry is essential for future, both in academia and industry, where discovery of new drugs rests mainly on the ability to use complementary approaches.
Fields of science
- medical and health sciencesbasic medicinemedicinal chemistry
- natural scienceschemical sciencesanalytical chemistrymass spectrometry
- medical and health sciencesmedical biotechnologycells technologiesstem cells
- medical and health sciencesbasic medicinepharmacology and pharmacydrug resistance
- natural sciencesbiological sciencescell biology
- medical and health sciencesclinical medicinecancer
- natural scienceschemical sciencesinorganic chemistryorganometallic chemistry
- medical and health scienceshealth sciencesinfectious diseasemalaria
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call