TOOBIS aims to develop a competitive Temporal Object Oriented Database Management System that will support representation and querying of bi-temporal data. TOOBIS also intends to develop an innovative conceptual modelling methodology for temporal applications. TOOBIS will contribute to ease of information access by extending the core functionality of DBMSs.
The objectives are to:
- extend core functionality offered by the O2 OODBMS, by supporting both valued and transaction time and to be compatible with standards of ODMG and the forthcoming SQL-3 standard definitions.
- Comply with evolving ODBMS standards, participate and influence standards definition groups.
- Extend the functionality of the O2 OODBMSD, by providing Data Model constructs for creating and manipulating temporal objects.
- Support Objective O1 by enhancing the O2 Object Definition Language (ODL).
- Support Objective O1 by extending the standard high level Object Query Language (OQL).
- Provide a temporal analysis and design methodology, by adapting existing methodologies to temporal aspects.
- Validate the approach and TOOBIS project (TOODBMS and Methodology) by developing two demonstrator applications.
- Gain a competitive advantage with respect to both core ODBMS functionality, and Industrial size applications in the areas of MIS-EIS, and health applications involving temporal and GIS functionality.
- Generalise applications of TOOBIS and investigate marketing potential in other industrial sectors.
The consortium has chosen Object Orientation as the foundation technology. This is a leading edge technology, which will increase its share in the database market. This may occur either directly, by an increase in the market share of pure OODBMSs or indirectly, by the incorporation of Object Oriented concepts in RDBMS technology. O2 OODBMS was chosen as the implementation platform for two reasons. First because it is the market leader of OODBMS in Europe (and third world-wide). Second, because existing RDBMSs lack object oriented functionality (they only plan to incorporate them in the near future). The industrial end users participating in the consortium appeal to a methodological approach to temporal applications development as well as the availability of appropriate TDBMSs to support the effort.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
78142 Velizy Villacoublay