Digital libraries and technology-enhanced learning LTfLL created next-generation educational services for learners and tutors, making extensive use of Language Technologies
The project created next-generation support and advice services to enhance individual and collaborative construction of knowledge in educational and organisational settings. The project made extensive use of language technologies and cognitive models in the services.
The technical infrastructure allows deployment of these services in Personal Learning Environments (PLEs) as well as in institutional Learning Management Systems (LMSs). The validity of the research assumptions and their practical implementation has been tested and evaluated in realistic settings.
The research in the project was organised in three themes, each leading to particular types of services and prototypical tools:
- In theme 1 (modelling and relating the learner and the domain), services are developed to establish the position of a learner in a curriculum of a particular domain. Services offer semi-automatic analysis and comparison of learner texts to the domain knowledge and advise on their coverage of conceptual knowledge.
- In theme 2 (contemporary pedagogic models, tutoring and tutor support), support and feedback services are developed based on the analysis of text-based interactions of students (e.g. chats or forums), or on textual artefacts created by students (e.g. summary writing). The services use Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Social Network Analysis (SNA).
- In theme 3 (collaborative and social dimensions in learning and knowledge structuring), a semantic framework and infrastructure for knowledge sharing is developed that allows comparison and sharing of personal knowledge resources to give rise to new common knowledge structuring and social learning. Ontologies for formal domain representation are combined with social tagging.
The following services – prototypes have been developed, each of them functioning separately but also with a possibility of combining them:
- LEAPOS: learner positioning service
- CONSPECT: monitoring conceptual development
- POLYCAFE: chat and forum analysis and feedback
- PENSUM: analysis of written texts
- Common Semantic Framework: formal learning support system - formulation of a curriculum
- Annotation Tool: semi-automatic annotation tool for teachers/tutors
The screen-casts, demos, guides and downloads of these services can be found on the project's website.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCP - Collaborative project (generic)