- Establishing a reliable European source for 4" semi-insulating GaAs substrate fabrication, optimised for ion implantation applications. Comparison of 3" and 4" state-of-the-art world market material.
- Epi-ready wafers directly usable for an MBE process. Attention will be paid to the requirements on geometry and surface conditions.
- Production and qualification of high performance 4" MBE-grown P-HEMT epiwafers. Tests will be performed by a device supplier (SIE) to evaluate the material quality.
- Comparison of the P-HEMT structures grown by MOVPE and MBE processes. In addition, application and quality as factors in production will be addressed.
- Establishing a European commercial source of GaInP/GaAs HBT epitaxial wafers. Evaluation and characterisation of materials developed by EPI and IAF by the industrial users in their standard production lines.
GaAs technology for both discrete and IC components has proved to be indispensable for advanced telecommunication and automotive systems. The use of GaAs clearly starts where the silicon ends i.e. in meeting system requirements such as the RF front-end of mobile communication equipment, broadband radio links and anti-collision systems.
The main interest of this project is to develop and qualify semi-insulating bulk GaAs and epitaxial material for three major microwave applications: MESFETs, pseudomorphic HEMTs and GaInP-HBTs; and to establish competitive European production facilities in those domains.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
CF3 0EG Cardiff
GR 711 10 Heraklion
NN12 8EQ Caswell Towcester
91952 Les Ulis