The main objective of the PIE is to improve the productivity and the quality of the systems development process. We will introduce a new object-based development method and create a framework for utilisation of CASE-tools and re-usable software components. This experiment is one important phase in our strategic plan to improve our basic processes. We expect a significant decrease in workload and duration time of development projects and notable increase in the share of re-usable components in completed systems.
During the project we plan to purchase new information technology for object-oriented modelling and software testing. The baseline project is the development of a Personnel Competence and Workload System for Tietotehdas Oy's Financial Systems Division. It was defined as one of the most urgent development tasks in the recent business process re-engineering project implemented in our unit. The division of labour between the application experiment and the baseline project is of the following kind:
- All the analysing, designing, implementing and testing of the system is done in the baseline project.
- The application experiment provides the standards and instructions for using the method and tools in the baseline project.
- All the technical support, training and know-how concerning the OMT-methodology (Object Modelling Technique), CASE-tools and testing tools is provided by the application experiment.
The experiment consists of following improvement steps to the baseline project:
- The baseline project will be analysed by using the object oriented methodology (Object model), the selected CASE-tool is used when documenting the model. This gives the project personnel experience of using the Object oriented Analyse and a CASE-tool.
- The baseline project will be implemented by using a Object Oriented language, the personnel will have experience by using the language.
- The platform for developing object oriented systems will be built by the experiment.
- The libraries for reusable components will be developed and tested.
- The baseline project will be using a test-tool that supports object oriented systems development. This is expected to improve the quality of the system.
The baseline project is crucial for our efforts to get the whole personnel committed to the new way of systems development, the method and the tools. In the application experiment the key persons with know-how of the tools will encourage the people of baseline project to utilise them. In further stages both groups will be responsible for getting the whole organisation committed to the new way of systems development by setting examples and sharing their knowledge and experiences.
EXPECTED IMPACT AND EXPERIENCE
A remarkable portion of our future net sales has to come from re-usable software components developed by efficient tools. Duration times of our project deliveries must be cut down notably. These goals require actions to improve our systems development process. The PIE is an important phase in this improvement procedure. The required status of our systems development process upon completion of the experiment is to have capabilities and facilities to perform object-oriented systems development using CASE-tools and utilising re-usable software components. New testing tools and procedures have to be introduced as well. In practise this means that following goals have been reached:
- A new object-oriented model has been joined to our overall systems development framework.
- A new CASE-tool has been chosen and introduced, adequate instructions have been produced and support persons have been trained.
- Standards, practices and instructions to create, update and utilise re-usable software components have been produced.
- New tools have been introduced to facilitate the testing of object oriented applications.
TT Tieto Oy Banking and Financial Systems employs 138 people, 5 of them are involved in the Fi-tools project.