The main objective of the research project is the development of a physical model of sound generation in flue organ pipes. This objective will be achieved by experiments on organ pipes and pipe models, by computer simulations and by the theoretical treatment of the problem.
The main objective of the training of the researcher is to improve his skills on conducting, supporting and supervising experimental work and on working in teams with foreign researchers.
The aims of the proposed research are the following:
- Better understanding of the fluid dynamical and acoustical processes of sound generation in flue organ pipes
- Development of a physical model of edge tone generation of flue organ pipes
- Development of a physical model of the sound generation of air jet driven instruments based on the interaction of two closely coupled oscillating systems (edge tone and pipe tone).
Application of the physical model for digital sound synthesis of wind instruments. The research is multidisciplinary, because different fields of physics and engineering are necessary to solve the problem of sound generation of organ pipes, such as fluid dynamics, physical and musical acoustics and structural vibrations. The perceived quality of the pipe sound can be described in the frame of psychoacoustics, while the digital synthesis of pipe sound requires knowledge in information technology and digital signal processing.
The proposed Incoming International Fellowship would be beneficial for both parties. The researcher will have the possibility to perform sophisticated experiments on organ pipes and pipe models which are very similar to real organ pipes for developing a physical model of sound generation of labial organ pipes.
The host institute will benefit from the knowledge of the researcher on Computational Fluid Dynamics simulation of air jets, and on sound synthesis using physical modelling techniques.
Fields of science
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectronic engineeringsignal processing
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesclassical mechanicsfluid mechanicsfluid dynamics
- natural sciencesmathematicsapplied mathematicsmathematical model
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesclassical mechanicsfluid mechanicscomputational fluid dynamics
- humanitieslanguages and literaturelinguisticsphonetics
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call