The objective of this project is to:
- develop a range of prototype intelligent sensors and actuators
- work with related ESPRIT projects to define and promote the development of a suitable fieldbus for their connection
- define and promote the development of a process Control Maintenance and Management System (CMMS), integrating the sensors, actuators and fieldbus with control and maintenance computers.
The sensors and actuators will address a range of functions, eg pressure, flow, temperature, and on-off valves, applicable to a broad range of industrial applications, ie power generation and distribution, chemical processes, the iron and steel industry, etc.
The work on a CMMS will focus on the lowest level in order to provide a consistent real-time database of the process instrumentation. Such a database will:
- improve the consistency of control reflex processing
- improve the consistency of control operator information
- enable the development of new maintenance and technical management functions, with the aim of reducing costs and increasing process plant availability
- facilitate the integration of future expert systems and increase their efficiency and relevance.
The specifications and implementations will be validated in three types of real process environment: thermal and nuclear power stations and a chemical plant.
30175 Porto Marghera Venezia