The objective of this project is to support and further develop the ISO STEP standard for a neutral file format for CAD data exchange by:
- proving the practicality of the standard
- providing application protocols for the efficient use of the standard
- developing comprehensive implementations for CAD geometry exchange
- implementing state-of-the-art testing methodologies
- developing pre- and post-processors to interface a range of CAD equipments and Finite Element Modelling (FEM) systems.
Problems (completeness, correctness) in computer aided design (CAD) geometry data exchange have been overcome.
Contribution has been made to the international standard STEP (ISO 10303).
Application protocols for solid (Brep and CSG) models, surface models and wireframe CAD models have been determined.
A prototype was made available on 14/02/92
Format specifications for the transfer of data between computer aided design (CAD) systems have been drawn up and standards set. Software for reading, writing, handling, converting and checking data has been written and microprocessors developed.
Five application protocols have been instituted, for manifold solid boundary representation models, surface models, wireframe models, compound boundary representation models and constructive solid geometry models. The first 3 have been forwarded to the International Standards Organization (ISO) to become part of the standard ISO 10303 (STEP).
Processors for the transfer of data have been developed by each CAD vendor in the project for their own CAD system. The processors communicate on one side with the standardized data files, and on the other with the native data repositories.
The project will continue the work of ESPRIT project 322, which led directly to the STEP standard.
A subset of STEP covering 3-D design will be defined and tested by prototype processors. All these processors are based on one set of COMMON TOOLS including a "Data Structure", a "Scanner/Parser", a "Conversion Toolset", a Formatter" and some "Statistics". The processors support five official application protocols:
- wireframe geometry, ISO 10303 part 206
- surface geometry, ISO 10303 part 205
- boundary-represented geometry, ISO 10303 part 206
- constructive solid geometry, ISO 10303 part 206
- compound boundary-represented geometry, ISO 10303 part 206.
Funding Schemeundefined - undefined
CB4 5BA Cambridge
LS6 2UU Leeds