InGOS will support and integrate the observing capacity of Europe for non-CO2 greenhouse gases (NCGHG: CH4, N2O, SF6, H2 and halocarbons). The emissions of these gases are very uncertain and it is unknown how future climate change will feedback into the land use coupled emissions of CH4 and N2O. The NCGHG atmospheric abundances will increase further in the future and the emissions of these gases are an attractive target for climate change mitigation policies.
InGOS aims to improve the existing European observation system so that this will provide us insight into the concentration levels and European and extra-European emissions of the NCGHGs. The data from the network will enable to better constrain the emissions of NCGHGs within the EU and show whether emission reduction policies are effective.
The data from the network is designed to allow to detect the spatial and temporal distribution (hotspots) of the sources and to detect changes in emissions due to mitigation and feedbacks with climate change.
To strengthen the European observation system, the project has several objectives:
• Harmonize and standardize the measurements.
• Provide capacity building in new member states and countries with inadequate existing infrastructure.
• Support existing observation sites and transfer of selected sites into supersites.
• Integrate and further integrate marine observations of the NCGHGs with land-based observations
• Improve measurement methods by testing new innovative techniques and strategies.
• Test advanced isotope techniques for application in the network to enable attribution of the atmospheric fractions to source categories
• Integrate data for network evaluation by using inverse modeling and data-assimilation methods and developments in bottom up inventories
• Link the network to remote sensing data of column abundances from in-situ and satellite observations
• Prepare for the integration of the NCGHG network with the Integrated Carbon Observation System
Fields of science
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCP-CSA-Infra - Combination of CP and CSA