SAFEWATER will develop an affordable global generic solution for the detection and management of drinking water crises resulting from CBRN contamination. SAFEWATER addresses the key drinking water incident management challenges at large, and in particular, the current shortcomings related to the contamination of water networks by CBRN agents - the lack of effective detection capacities, contamination warning systems, and decision support and management tools.
SAFEWATER will start from best-of-breed technologies, including an EPA challenge winning event detection system. From this, the project will develop a dedicated DSS for the real-time support of decision makers, which comprises cutting-edge algorithms based on:
• Improved water management models for the detection of abnormal behaviour in drinking water systems; as well as the prompt treatment of data from various sources, improving contamination alert systems of large water drinking systems
• Result interpretation models to enable the real-time ranking of the severity of alerts and for the prompt identification of recovery measures
• Spatial detection models to determine the contamination’s source and spread
The functionalities of a leading Event Management System will be expanded by introducing beyond the state of the art online simulation capacities, allowing users to have a close to real-time view of the network’s behaviour.
New sensors will be proposed for online biological and radioactive water quality measurements. SAFEWATER will improve sensor selection by carrying out benchmarking activities and develop an innovative detection approach based on “virtual sensors”, i.e. large networks of domestic sensors
The project will test and validate the full SAFEWATER solution in three different scenarios, each situated in a different municipality corresponding to a different usage context and to specific security threats.
Fields of science
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectronic engineeringsensors
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringwater treatment processesdrinking water treatment processes
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringnatural resources managementwater management
- natural sciencesearth and related environmental scienceshydrology
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCP-FP - Small or medium-scale focused research project