This project aims to identify and promote approaches for the sustainable management of dryland forest ecosystems, by researching ecosystem restoration techniques using native species of economic value. The project will directly address Thematic Issue A.2.3 Managing arid and semi-arid ecosystems, by undertaking a programme of multi-disciplinary research analysing how restoration of degraded lands can be achieved in a way that will mitigate the effects of unsustainable land use practices and contribute to conservation of biodiversity, in ways that support the development of rural livelihoods according to the ecosystem approach.
As defined by the INCO Specific Measures, this project will:
(i) Identify opportunities for enhanced economic productivity and limit s to sustainable production, with a particular focus on identifying incentives for supporting dryland forest restoration by local communities;
(ii) Analyse the natural resource use systems at local, regional and international levels through an integrated approach, by developing a comparative programme of research in seven study areas distributed in dryland areas of Mexico, Chile and Argentina;
(iii) Using information gathered using participatory techniques to inform the planning and implementing of sustainable management strategies for dryland forest resources;
(iv) Developing appropriate decision-support tools, including information systems, criteria and indicators of sustainability and rehabilitation, together with case studies of practical restoration trials, to support dryland ecosystem management and policies,
(v) Disseminating results through scientific publications, research reports and internet resources; strengthening the research capacity of partner organizations both in Europe and Latin America; an d providing training and educational resources.
This will ensure that the project achieves a strong link between technological, management and policy research, in a focal area of the INCO Specific Measures.
Fields of science
- social scienceseconomics and businesseconomicsproduction economicsproductivity
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesbiodiversity conservation
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesbotany
- natural sciencesearth and related environmental sciencesphysical geographycartographygeographic information systems
- agricultural sciencesagriculture, forestry, and fisheriesagricultureindustrial cropsfodder
- social sciencesother social sciencessocial sciences interdisciplinarysustainable development
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesecologyecosystems
- medical and health sciencesclinical medicinephysiotherapy
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringremote sensing
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesecologylandscape ecology
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call