Fungi have proved to be a source of bioactive natural products and industrially important target products such as:
The overall aim of this proposal is to use nanotechnology using natural molecules involved in fungal cell communications and mini-scale process parameters, to maintain and improve productivity for the white biotech industry of the commercially important bioproduct, and particularly laccases. The specific objectives of this proposal are: Using a Quorum Sensing approach at nano-scale for better understanding of biosynthesis of the industrially important target products; Quorum sensing and signal transduction in relation to fungal physiology and morphology in agitated systems; Comparative analyses of fungal cell communication in small and large scale submerged fermentations; The relevance and interrelation of traditional scale-up factors to quorum sensing in fungal cultures. The QUORUM project is based on a multidisciplinary approach, and builds a dynamic relation between 8 partners (1 SME and 7 Universities and Research Centres) from 7 countries.
The QUORUM project will enhance competitiveness and sustainability of European industries by the development of leading edge advances i n environmentally respectful, energy efficiency, resource efficient processes and product technology. Two main technology innovation areas are concerned: enzymes and fine chemical productions. The QUORUM project will lead to a positive impact on economy through new/increased added value products, a beneficial impact on environmental issues, and new production models -based on knowledge- to replace trial error, will be proposed to the industrial biotechnology sector in the value chain.
The QUORUM project will support the "Action Plan for environmental technology" (COM 131-2003) as well as the "Life sciences and biotechnology: a strategy for Europe" (COM 27-2002).
Field of science
- /social sciences/economics and business/economics/production economics/productivity
- /engineering and technology/chemical engineering/biochemical engineering
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/molecular biology
- /engineering and technology/industrial biotechnology/bioprocessing technologies/fermentation
- /engineering and technology/nanotechnology/nano-processes
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electronic engineering/sensors
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/biochemistry/biomolecules/proteins/enzymes
- /engineering and technology/environmental biotechnology/bioremediation/bioreactor
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/microbiology/mycology
- /medical and health sciences/basic medicine/physiology
- FP6-NMP - Nanotechnologies and nanosciences, knowledge-based multifunctional materials and new production processes and devices: thematic priority 3 under the 'Focusing and integrating community research' of the 'Integrating and strengthening the European Research Area' specific programme 2002-2006.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call