The non-vanishing neutrino masses, discovered in oscillation experiments, are the only direct evidence of particle physics beyond the Standard Model. The identification of the origin of neutrino mass shall provide a crucial cornerstone for the construction of the next theoretical framework for particle physics.
We propose here to investigate the theoretical implications of neutrino data, more specifically
- to evaluate the impact of future measurements for the structure of the neutrino mass matrix;
- to determine the high energy scale(s) related to neutrino mass generation;
- to identify the gauge and/or flavour symmetries connecting the mixing parameters of the quark and lepton sectors.
We shall also analyze the complementarity between the theory of neutrino mass and cosmology as well as direct searches of new particles and interactions at the Large Hadron Collider.
One should work out the specific predictions of the neutrino mass model for
- Baryogenesis via Leptogenesis
- the possible sources of dark matter and dark energy
- the TeV scale phenomenology at colliders.
Vice versa, forthcoming astroparticle and cosmology data as well as the discovery of a new specific particle physics sector, related to the electroweak symmetry breaking scale, shall be used to select among the different theoretical sources of neutrino mass.
The project will benefit from the large deal of new data expected in the next two years from neutrino and astroparticle experiments. Moreover, it will provide insight on the features of new physics expected at the Large Hadron Collider, which has a planned start-up in 2007.
The applicant background in neutrino phenomenology and model-building beyond the Standard Model will be nicely complemented by the host institute expertise in supersymmetric phenomenology, cosmology and collider physics.
Fields of science
- natural sciencesphysical sciencestheoretical physicsparticle physicsneutrinos
- natural sciencesphysical sciencestheoretical physicsparticle physicsleptons
- natural sciencesphysical sciencestheoretical physicsparticle physicsparticle accelerator
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesastronomyastrophysicsdark matter
- natural sciencesphysical sciencestheoretical physicsparticle physicsquarks
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call