Ambient particulate air pollution has been associated with increases in morbidity and mortality. Epidemiological studies showed cardiovascular health effects of short-term as well as long-term air pollution exposure.
The results suggest that air pollution impacts the underlying frailty of the population, but can also trigger events. Traffic related particulate air pollution may be of special concern.
Extreme temperature is another environmental factor related to cardiovascular and respiratory health. Recent studies have shown an increased mortality during heat waves in European cities, and worldwide in extreme temperature conditions.
- Survival after myocardial infarction is associated with long-term as well as short-term ambient traffic related air pollution at place of residence.
- Daily residential temperature is associated with mortality in the general population. Individual factors modify this association.
- Residential long-term ambient particulate air pollution levels are associated with adverse cardiovascular outcomes in a population-based cohort.
To address these objectives and to extend her scientific training the fellow will work on studies (1) and (2) with world-leading scientists within her field at Harvard, USA using innovative spatio-temporal models of exposure.
During the return phase she will apply the new knowledge independently conducting study (3) at the GSF in Germany:
(1) A cohort study of MI survivors on short and long term effects of mobile source related air pollution on survival, Worcester, MA 1995-2005 using extended Cox regression analyses.
(2) A case-crossover study on short-term health effects of temperature on cause specific mortality in the general population of Greater Boston, MA, 1997-2002.
(3) A longitudinal study on long-term health effects of particulate air pollution on cardiovascular disease risk factor profile in a random sample of the Augsburg general population in 1994/2004 and 2000/2006.
Fields of science
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencesdata science
- social sciencessociologydemographymortality
- natural sciencesearth and related environmental sciencesphysical geographycartographygeographic information systems
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringair pollution engineering
- natural sciencesearth and related environmental sciencesenvironmental sciencespollution
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeOIF - Marie Curie actions-Outgoing International Fellowships
15677 Boston, Ma
See on map