This proposal entails a post-doctoral project regarding the development and application of Micro- and Nanotechnology in Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) The focus is on high-resolution small-volume NMR spectroscopy and development of new scientific tools like miniaturized NMR, including the development of new techniques like small-volume hyphenated techniques as NMR-MS.
The project comprises four main tasks, following the objectives:
- Optimization and manufacturing of current NMR-on-a-Chip models, optimization of the NMR-chip, in particular regarding the materials to be used, the NMR coil design, the micro/nanofluidic systems and the optimal volume/signal-to-noise ratio.
- Design, optimization and manufacturing of advanced NMR-on-a-Chip: the design and development of NMR chips for multinuclear experiments with multiple coils, either parallel or in series, the integration of a variable temperature system.
- Testing of NMR chips with real reactions: testing of different reactions, screening of libraries of compounds in parallel microfluidic channels.
- Design and development of Micro and Nano NMR-MS hyphenated techniques.
The Micro and Nano NMR project fits very well within the scope of different strategic objectives of the 6th Framework European Programme (FP6). The development of new small-volume NMR techniques is a typical example of nanotechnology that can be applied to different fields, including life sciences. Indeed this project will obviously benefit any company in need of mass-limited samples.
For example pharmaceutical companies looking for fast and cheap fabrication of screening of new medicinal compounds. Micro- and nanotechnology are currently among the most rapidly growing fields of research.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/analytical chemistry/spectroscopy
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/information engineering/telecommunications/radio technology/radio frequency
- /engineering and technology/nanotechnology
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call