The application is aimed at busting the research and postgraduate education in the Department of Mechanics and Aeronautics (DMA), Faculty of Engineering (FE), University of Rome 'La Sapienza' in the field of computer modelling and simulations (CMS) of complex turbulent flows, heat and mass transfer for thermo-fluids and environmental engineering
This will be achieved by utilizing the expertise of the MC chair holder Prof. K. Hanjalic in turbulence modelling and simulations with the internationally expertise in computational methods, phenomenological and applied research in the host institution.
The project focuses on emerging topics in CMS, regarded as the mainstay of the future industrial and environmental computational fluid dynamics:
- Advanced second-moment Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS) models, for real-scale complex unsteady flows;
- Large-eddy simulations (LES) with innovative sgs models, compound wall treatment and new concepts of filtering; c) Hybrid LES/RANS combining the RANS and LES strategies.
The research will be pursued by the junior academic staff of DMA and/or FE as well as MSc, PhD students and/or postdocs under joint guidance of the chair-holder and the host academic staff. In parallel, three new MSc/PhD Lectures will be introduce d on advanced RANS, LES and hybrid methods. Seminars will be taught in several regular MSc courses. Industrial courses will be also organized.
The project will expand the multidisciplinary competence and enhance the capabilities of DMA in CMS to the rank o f leading groups in Europe and world-wide, contributing thus to the development of the ERA in accord with the HRM program. It will also enhance the interaction of the host institution with industry in various engineering and environmental projects and, thus, enhance the competitiveness of Italian and European industries, especially in the areas of aeronautics, turbomachinery, engine and power equipment, and in environmental engineering.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/classical mechanics/fluid mechanics/fluid dynamics
- /natural sciences/mathematics/applied mathematics/mathematical model
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/geological engineering
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/classical mechanics/fluid mechanics/computational fluid dynamics
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call