The main objective of the Ultra-ID Project is to study the fundamental size limits, when the electron transport in one-dimensional (1D) systems can be considered qualitatively similar to macroscopic regime, and to explore qualitatively new phenomena appearing below the certain scale. Project will focus on fabrication, theoretical and experimental study of electron transport in the state-of-the-art narrow 1D objects: normal metals, superconductors, semi conducting heterojunctions and carbonnanotubes. Principal technological objective of the Project is to elaborate old and develop new methods ofmicrofabrication, pushing the reproducible limit of 1D object fabrication down to ~ 10 nm scale. Three independent, but complimentary methods will be used for fabrication of metallic systems: high-resolution e-beam lithography, electrochemical growth of ultra thin Nan wires, and progressive reduction of the effective diameter of pre-fabricated 1D objects by plasma etching. Principal technological objective related to activity with 1D semiconductors is the fabrication of high-quality systems enabling application of external potential. Main technological objective related to electron properties of carbon annotate is the fabrication of structures suspended on top of a terraced plane or a cleaved edge of super lattice. Research activity with normal electron transport will be concentrated at three main topics:
metal- insulator transition in ultra-thin wires, electron lecherous in 1D limit, peculiarities of electron transport in 1D systems with controlled external periodic potential. Study of superconductors will be focused on the problem of quantum phase slips in ultra-thin 1Dsystems (wires and rings). Experimental part of the scientific activity will include state-of-the-art low noise transport and magnetic measurements at ultra-low temperatures. Theoretical investigation will use modern methods of quantum solid-state physics.
Field of science
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/inorganic chemistry/metals
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/electromagnetism and electronics/electrical conductivity/superconductor
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/condensed matter physics/solid-state physics
- FP6-NMP - Nanotechnologies and nanosciences, knowledge-based multifunctional materials and new production processes and devices: thematic priority 3 under the 'Focusing and integrating community research' of the 'Integrating and strengthening the European Research Area' specific programme 2002-2006.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeSTREP - Specific Targeted Research Project