Minuet’s objective is to develop improved multifunctional, knowledge-based materials; new production processes and technologies for complex miniaturised functional structures and devices, based onelectroceramics. WP1 Materials and WP2 Integrated Multilateral Structures work closely together inapt on modelling of material properties as a function of compositions.
In WP2, PZT, lead-free and the new-modelled compositions will be used to adapt frontier technologies, as LTCC structures, opening an opportunity for complex miniaturised devices. Presently, LTCC includes only passive components due to high reactivity of piezoelectric thick films with substrates. Modelling results will be verified at laboratory scale through preparation of powders and components and testing their properties. Best compositions will be scaled up and samples delivered to the end users in traditional form and in thick-film structures. The best ones will be modified further to comply with LTCC. LTCC structures can replace bulk components leading to enhanced performance with more degrees of functionality in robotics and integrated sensors (WP5 Devices for Robotics). WP3Devices for Fluidics and Optics covers work on engineered-engineered structure for adaptive "photon crystals”, unable filters and print heads with discrete assemblies replaced by integrated structures. WP4 Devices for Acoustics covers medical, NDT and process control applications.
Models are used to calculate material specifications for WP1 and WP2 and design prototype devices to verify the models and test performance. MINUET has a vertical structure from material modelling to small-scale testing of compositions and technology, scaling up and testing devices. The output is the verified model and technology of new materials, their integration into LTCC, devices based upon these and engineered-engineered structures. High socio-economic potential results from reduced environmental impact by using less hazardous chemicals.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/acoustics
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/optics
- /medical and health sciences/clinical medicine/dermatology
- /social sciences/economics and business/economics/production economics
- /medical and health sciences/clinical medicine/angiology/vascular diseases
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/theoretical physics/particle physics/photons
- /medical and health sciences/clinical medicine/ophthalmology
- /engineering and technology/medical engineering/diagnostic imaging
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electronic engineering/robotics
- /engineering and technology/mechanical engineering/tribology/lubrication
- FP6-NMP - Nanotechnologies and nanosciences, knowledge-based multifunctional materials and new production processes and devices: thematic priority 3 under the 'Focusing and integrating community research' of the 'Integrating and strengthening the European Research Area' specific programme 2002-2006.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeSTREP - Specific Targeted Research Project