The current World Wide Web (WWW) is, by its function, the syntactic web where structure of the content has been presented while the content itself is inaccessible to computers. The next generation of the Web (the Semantic Web) aims to alleviate such problem and provide specific solutions targeted the concrete problems. The Web resources will be much easier and more readily accessible by both human and computers with the added semantic information in a machine-understandable and machine-processable fashion. It will have much higher impact on eWork and eCommerce as the current version of the web already had. Still, there is a long way to go transfer the semantic web from an academic adventure into a technology provided by software industry. Supporting this transition process of Ontology technology from Academia to Industry is the main and major goal of KnowledgeWeb.
This main goal naturally translates into three main objectives given the nature of such a transformation.
(1) Industry requires immediate support in tacking up this complex and new technology. Languages and interfaces need to be standardized to reduce the effort and provide scalability to solutions. Methods and use cases need to be provided to convince and to provide guidelines for how to work with this technology.
(2) Important support to industry is provided by developing high-class education in the area of semantic web, web services, and Ontologies.
(3) Research on Ontologies and the semantic web have not yet reached its goals. New areas such as the combination of semantic web with web services realizing intelligent web services require serious new research efforts.
Spoken in a nutshell, it is the mission of Knowledge Web to strengthen the European software industry in one of the most important areas of current computer technology: Semantic web enabled eWork and eCommerce.
Fields of science
- humanitiesphilosophy, ethics and religionphilosophymetaphysicsontology
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencessoftware
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencesinternetworld wide web
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencesinternetsemantic web
- social scienceseconomics and businessbusiness and managementcommercee-commerce
Funding SchemeNoE - Network of Excellence
78153 Le Chesnay
39100 Bolzano (Bozen)
MK7 6AA Milton Keynes
AB24 3FX Aberdeen
L69 3BX Liverpool
S10 2TN Sheffield
M13 9PL Manchester
1081 HV Amsterdam