This three-year Action has been designed for its initial phase to take maximum benefit of existing resources and facilities built up during previous Spanish initiatives. The activities will incorporate four underlying themes:
1. Increasing awareness of microelectronics technology and applications and facilitating the exchange of experts between Spanish and other European organisations over the period of the Action.
2. Transferring technology from existing ESPRIT projects. Naturally these transfers, for example of IC design systems, will be accompanied by the necessary training and support.
3. Active demonstration to industry of practical applications of the technology.
4. Research into advanced topics in preparation for future specific projects.
This action has been designed for its initial phase to take maximum benefit of existing resources and facilities built up during previous Spanish initiatives. The activities incorporate 4 underlying themes:
increasing awareness of microelectronics technology and applications and facilitating the exchange of experts between Spanish and other European organisations;
transferring technology from existing ESPRIT projects;
active demonstration to industry of practical applications of the technology;
research into advanced topics in preparation for future specific projects.
These themes are embodied in 3 focused lines of action:
application specific integrated circuits (ASICS);
This special action has stimulated a great deal ofactivity in its first 18 months of operation and there is already evidence of increased capacity for integrated circuit (IC) design in both the industrial and academic sectors.
During this initial period some 60 firms submitted their project proposals to the organising committee, Grupo Activador de la Microelectronica en Espana (GAME). Following success in the evaluation process, 42 projects have been launched. 2 of these projects are working in the smart power sector, 4 are working on sensors and the balance are undertaking ASIC demonstration activities.
These themes are embodied in three focused lines of action:
- Application-Specific Integrated Circuits (ASICS): the action will build up centres of expertise via technology transfers and execute a number of ASIC designs primarily with Spanish SMEs who will in the course of the Action gain their first experiences in the application of state-of-the-art ASIC technologies.
- Smart Power: this technology offers the potential for conversion from electromechanical-based industry to a fully electronic one. The actions will build on the embryonic capabilities which already exist in Spain and devise demonstrations of new applications applicable to exploitation in the Spanish industrial context.
- Integrated Sensors: a relatively new field, with great potential application in the emerging Spanish industries. In this Action emphasis is placed on aspects of monitoring and control of the environment and work to develop a range of new sensors and technologies is attracted participation from a wide range of industry.
The details of the Action were via a special GAME committee (Grupo Activador de la Microelectronica en España) which was formed by the general secretary of the National Plan for Industry and Development. It includes members from industry, academia and the administration. The committee designed the action and evaluated the detailed proposals received from Spanish industry.