Risk Management activities involve a range of different organisations at various administrative levels with their own systems and services. However, the sharing of relevant information that is required for dealing with risks is often limited to a raw data exchange with all the syntactical and semantical conversion problems. Thus, true efficiency, in most cases, is hindered by administrative and legal boundaries as well as a lack of interoperability on the technical side. Furthermore, the application of numerous and different policies, procedures, data standards and systems, results in co-ordination problems with respect to data analysis, information delivery and resource management, all critical elements of Risk Management.
The aim of ORCHESTRA is to improve the efficiency in dealing with risks by developing an open service architecture for risk management that is based on de-facto and de-jure standards. Emerging specifications out of the INSPIRE and GMES activities will be incorporated. Software adhering to the ORCHESTRA architecture will be able to interoperate, to a certain extent even at a semantic level, and organisations will be able to cooperate much more efficiently as it is currently possible.
More specifically the goals of ORCHESTRA are:
- To design an open service-oriented architecture for risk management
- To develop the software infrastructure for enabling risk management services
- To deliver an infrastructure integrating spatial and non-spatial services for risk management
- To validate the ORCHESTRA results in a multi-risk scenario
- To provide software standards for risk management applications
Two types of users will benefit from the ORCHESTRA solutions:
1. System-users: Providers of data and application services that are used for risk management
2. End-users: Civil protection agencies and private companies involved in risk management.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/data science/data analysis
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/software
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/data science/data exchange
- /social sciences/sociology/governance/crisis management
Funding SchemeIP - Integrated Project
AB10 1DQ Aberdeen
SO16 4GU Southampton