The last century has witnessed major advances in food science and technology and in nutrition. Indeed innovations have dramatically improved the quality, safety, and availability of food products, meaning a better quality of life for consumers. On the other hand, over the last years the protection of the environment has become a major concern for mankind and thus important progress has been achieved in order to produce foods with the higher respect for Nature. Nevertheless, much remains to be done. At present, one of the main problems of SMEs processing vegetables for food is waste management.
However, waste produced by these companies can be recycled into added value products, since it contains a significant percentage of functional compounds. These compounds - flavonoids, phenolic acids and anthocyanidins among others - show anti-oxidant properties and can be used as natural colour and flavour additives.
Fields of science
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringwaste management
- social sciencesother social sciencessocial sciences interdisciplinarysustainable development
- agricultural sciencesagriculture, forestry, and fisheriesagriculturehorticulturefruit growing
- engineering and technologyenvironmental biotechnologybioremediationcompost
- engineering and technologymaterials engineeringcolors
- agricultural sciencesagriculture, forestry, and fisheriesagriculturehorticulturevegetable growing
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
San Nicolas De Tolentino
Arganda Del Rey
Arroyo De La Encomienda