The objective of this project is to develop software prototypes to store, maintain and transfer cutting-tool information.
The following prototypes will be realised:
- user tool databases to provide information for, as examples, numerical control, CAM and production planning and control
- conceptual schema of a producer model for tools
- company-independent tool database
- user interfaces
- interfaces for data exchange between the product model and the company-independent database, and between the company-independent and the user database
- application interfaces between the user tool database and the CAM system.
The goal of the user model is to provide the information needed by downstream applications. Most of this is generated at the production stage, and it is important it is generated once only and then made available to all users. This requires a company-independent data exchange model, which will also unify the presentation of tool data from different suppliers.
Project results will be validated in an industrial environment and will be applicable to the machine-tool, aeronautics, automotive and mould and die industries.