MAGMANet is an interdisciplinary NE that focuses on the magnetic properties of molecular based systems. This emerging research field requires Europe to integrate the necessary critical mass of resources and facilities to retain its world leadership. MAGMAN et is committed to attain this goal by addressing the following main objectives: 1. Tackle the fragmentation of European research in molecular magnetism and increase its cost effectiveness 2. Provide lasting integration of research and technological develo pments in this field by the creation of the European Institute of Molecular Magnetism (EIMM) 3. Deliver world class resources through developing a Virtual Laboratory of excellence and selected Technological Platforms 4. Strengthen the leading role of Europ ean research in the field by expanding interdisciplinary cooperation 5. Promote education, public citizen awareness and knowledge dissemination in this emerging research field 6. Stimulate industrial innovation and technology transfer The consortium compri ses 15 leading European players in the field from 8 EU states plus Romania and Switzerland. The entire range of expertise necessary for carrying out research in molecular magnetism is involved from theoretical and solid state physics to synthetic organic a nd inorganic chemistry. Lasting integration and long term existence of the EIMM depends on the quality of the integration and of the research work carried out, and on durable funding. MAGMANet will develop a financing scheme that will rely on considerable industrial involvement (from multinationals to SMEs) by creating an Industrial Support Group. The NE will provide the impetus to move from collaboration to actual integration leading to the creation of the EIMM. The NE will generate the knowledge and techn ology of tomorrow in: information science (nanoscale data storage, quantum computing), healthcare/biomedicine (magneto-optical switches, biocompatible magnets), safety and security devices.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/inorganic chemistry
- /social sciences/media and communications/information science
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electronic engineering/computer hardware/quantum computer
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/condensed matter physics/solid-state physics
- FP6-NMP - Nanotechnologies and nanosciences, knowledge-based multifunctional materials and new production processes and devices: thematic priority 3 under the 'Focusing and integrating community research' of the 'Integrating and strengthening the European Research Area' specific programme 2002-2006.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call