Main objectives of GOAHEAD:
To enhance the aerodyn. prediction capabilities of Europe's helicopter industry with respect to complete helicopter (hc) configurations.
To create an exp. database for validation of 3D CFD unsteady Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes (URANS) methods for unsteady visc. flows incl. rotor dynamics for complete hc configurations, (main rotor-fuselage-tail rotor) with emphasis on viscous phenomena like flow separation and transition from laminar to turbulent flow.
To evaluate and validate Europe's most elaborate URANS solvers for the prediction of viscous flow around complete hc including fluid-structure-coupling.
To establish best practice guidelines for the numerical simulation of the viscous flow around hc configurations.
The consortium consists of 5 national research centers, 4 universities, all 4 European hc manufacturers and 1 SME. The partners come from France, Germany, Greece, Italy, The Netherlands and the UK. The total budget of the project is calculated to 5.0 Million Euro incl. 0.808 Million for wind tunnel costs (subcontract). The project is scheduled for 48 months and will consist of five workpackages (WP): WP1 Detailed Project Specification, WP2 CFD Work Package, WP3 Wind Tunnel Experiment, WP4 Data Analysis, Evaluation and Synthesis and WP5 Project Management. Main deliverables will be the deeply analysed exp. database for the flow around a complete hc with emphasis on viscous effects, reports on the evaluation and validation of the existing CFD URANS methods for complete hc and the best practice guidelines. Furthermore the validated CFD methods will be an important output. This RTD proposal will contribute directly to Integrating and Strengthening the European Research Area. The exp. database in combination with the validated CFD models will allow new hc designs to be assessed in a considerably reduced time span without the need for large corrections after flight testing.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/data science/data analysis
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/software/system software
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/classical mechanics/fluid mechanics/fluid dynamics
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/databases
- /engineering and technology/mechanical engineering/vehicle engineering/aerospace engineering/aircraft/rotorcraft
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/classical mechanics/fluid mechanics/computational fluid dynamics
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeSTREP - Specific Targeted Research Project