In this proposal we bring for the first time modern methods of cognitive neuroimaging using MRI into routine application. This will bring significant benefits both for the clinic and for neuroscience. By exploiting recent dramatic increases in scanning speed we will develop a protocol that performs an assessment of brain connectivity plus a high spatial resolution evaluation of the brain within half an hour. A data analysis, including a graph theoretical assessment of provincial and connector hubs in the brain will be performed at the scanner console. In addition to the connectivity analysis measures of grey matter vitality, myelinisation, susceptibility maps and potentially maps of iron distribution will be made available. The project will also include the acquisition of a data base of 300 subjects over a broad range of ages, and matched in gender, making it possible to follow changes in brain morphology and connectivity with age.
ABRIM will take two ESRs with backgrounds in the physical sciences and train them in both magnetic resonance imaging and neuroimaging. It is inter-disciplinary because it involves both physics and life sciences, and intersectorial because it has application both in neuroscience and medicine. The ESRs will receive a highly structured training as part of a a graduate school for cognitive neuroscience, which also includes following two courses at business school, as well as industrial based training. The results of the project will be widely disseminated, and it is expected to have a major impact because of the methods it develops, the database it makes available to the wider scientific community, the novel use of a neuroimaging database to provide a normative basis for clinical diagnosis, and because it will act as a springboard for future collaborations between the current partners and potentially other organisations.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/inorganic chemistry/inorganic compounds
- /medical and health sciences/clinical medicine/radiology/medical imaging/magnetic resonance imaging
- /social sciences/economics and business
- /natural sciences/physical sciences
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/neurobiology
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/neurobiology/neuroscience/cognitive neuroscience
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/data science/data analysis
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/neurobiology/neuroscience
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call