Periodic Reporting for period 2 - PSYMBIOSYS (Product-Service sYMBIOtic SYStems)
Reporting period: 2016-08-01 to 2018-01-31
1. The different and sometimes competing nature of products and services, as they ask for different methods, competencies and processes to be efficiently managed and governed.
2. The sequential and mono-directional relationship between design and manufacturing of products which leads to waterfall problems and consequently to reworks and wastes.
3. Service-Oriented and Event-Driven architectures are at the basis of new ICT systems and applications, but also important theoretical tussles. Everything is a Thing or Everything is a Service are two holistic but conflicting views of the world. Indeed, on one side IoT promotes the intelligence everywhere and an extreme pervasive distribution of computation, peer-to-peer communication and decisional capacity; on the other side (IoS) it is envisaged a cloudification of ICT systems and their optimization in few very sophisticated and specialized data centers.
4. Knowledge and Sentiment are two sides of the same creativity coin and they are both needed for an effective design of new PSSs. However, professional knowledge needs to be mediated with crowd sentiment, since they have different backgrounds and different aims.
5. Business and Innovation often are in trade-off within a manufacturing enterprise, so that PSS innovation may be hindered or abandoned because it is perceived as dangerous for the current business model.
In WP3-4-5-6-7 work has progressed on a two-fold line. Scientific research has set 5 innovative approaches and procedures for coping with the tussles, undermining the implementation of PSS. Technical research has been focused on the development and the identification of proper tools. In addition, first drafts of modular architectures including selected ICT tools have been created and tested by means of PSYMBIOSYS industrial partners. These platforms have been designed to elicit the application of scientific methods.
Then, first release of manufacturing intelligence tools for Product- Service design was made available with the objective of easing interpretation of RW data streams, the knowledge extraction from big data repositories, the quick development of mobile applications as well as the virtual representation of P-S assets. As for the other platforms, these tools have been tested with the industrial partners of the project.
WP9 designed a reference modular architecture which defines relationships, data exchanges and functionalities of platforms developed in WP3-4-5-6-7. Moreover, it has been tailored for manufacturing phases and contexts specific of four industries: Tools Aircraft Video Surveillance, Furniture and Textile.
In WP10 IT tools coming from the other WPs have been integrated and deployed in the four industrial partners of the project, while defining parameters to be monitored and collecting feedbacks for the further developments during the second half of the project.
Finally, in WP11 principles and strategy for the dissemination, communication and exploitation (individual and joint ones) of PSYMBIOSYS have been set up and objectives and approaches for monitoring have been defined accordingly. Mid-term dissemination, communication and exploitation results have been collected and presented, with a particular focus on social network performance of the PSYMBIOSYS, e.g. number of followers on Twitter.
PSYMBIOSYS will help in creating additional demand for digital services beyond the physical product and it will support an operational transparency and data-driven decision making mechanisms by means of autonomous adaptation and information-supported human decision making.
Then, PSYMBIOSYS will lead to local and regional development and entrepreneurship as part of a global network (global collaboration models) through the increase of interoperability among enterprises and process digitalization.
Finally, PSYMBIOSYS is providing solutions and tools for improving and speeding the collection of customer requirements and customer insights, thus making PSS innovation more customer oriented.