Periodic Reporting for period 1 - 4FOLD (4FOLD Reduction of the International Transport of Empty Containers by Folding)
Reporting period: 2014-10-01 to 2015-03-31
Objective: Assess the feasibility of a successful market introduction of the 4FOLD container in Europe and convert the findings into a detailed market implementation roadmap.
• Task1 Technical feasibility of commercial production of the 4FOLD; HCI worked out an assembly plan for production and a maintenance plan for operations. These plans have led to a drastic reduction in cost price.
• Task2 Commercial feasibility of sales of the 4FOLD; Based on discussions with several prospects HCI created a mathematical tool (http://www.hcinnovations.nl/calculate.php) to calculate the savings, and developed a business model to speed up market introduction.
• Task3 European consortium for market launch; during the project, HCI spoke to a lot of market parties and created a list with over 50 prospects/potential partners, from different market segments.
• Task4 Business plan; Together with the SME coach, HCI developed a business plan, in which a roadmap is implemented on how to become a success in the European market within 3 years.
A calculation tool is online, prospects can use their own data to fill in the tool and directly see savings to be made by using 4FOLD. Results show a possible increase of the European container users’ profit margin and also a reduction in carbon footprint.
Several European parties would like to cooperate with HCI in a consortium to set up trials with 4FOLD.
Market implementation plan
• Better understanding of clients' needs; HCI developed a marketing plan tailored for the conservative container industry.
• Better knowledge about marketing methods; HCI created a model for easily quantifying benefits of using 4FOLD.
• Better understanding of technical issues; Plan is made for efficiency and ease of maintenance.